Evan had his right knee x -rayed on Monday as recommended by his Physical Therapist, and he was such a brave boy. Prior to the appointment I of course tried as best I could to "set up" the situation, explain oh so thoroughly why and how it would work. I kept referring to the Franklin Goes to the Hospital book, and it totally worked. In the story Franklin the turtle's shell gets cracked, and he has to get x rays done to make sure his shell is okay. Anyway, Evan was scared since I had to leave him lying there on the x ray table, but he calmed down fairly quickly. I was the crazy mom standing outside of the door, opening it when I wasn't supposed to. I was so thankful he didn't go into crazy tantrum, refusal to lay there mode. I knew it could go either way. I was proud of him.
The Doctor called yesterday with the results and Evan has mild genu valgum (knock knees), which they do nothing about. However, the radiologist felt that he has some "effusion" which is fluid around the knee. This can sometimes be related to Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA), so this is something we will need to monitor. JRA is usually accompanied with things such as pain in the area, redness and warmth in the joints, and dramatic knee swelling. I definitely need to educate myself more on this, but as for now it's a wait and watch type situation. The x rays did not show any bone abnormalities which we are so thankful for.




5 comments:
what would we mommies do without franklin??
glad it all went ok :)
Good job, Evan! I haven't heard about Franklin...probably need to look into getting his book. Glad to hear that at this point nothing to be done. Wish though that you'd gotten a clear answer and could move beyond this.
I wish I had Franklin when Jordan was little. Evan is such a big boy I'm not surprised he did so good. Maybe we should write a book for mommy's who go into panic mode. LOL
Glad you both did well during the X-Rays! Glad he is OK!
Brandi
Oh no. Why couldn't it just be mild knocked knees? So hoping it's not JRA. That's got to be SO painful.
Thinking of him. Poor guy.
And what's this about a detached retina?
Post a Comment